What would you like to see?

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM

What Kendo UI functionality with what type of ASP.NET sample application would you like to see?

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:40 AM
Edited Mar 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM

I would like to see more ASP.NET MVC examples with Kendo grid. A complete ASP.NET MVC example using Northwind or AdventureWorks will definitely help quicker adoption of Kendo UI. There is some useful information on internet about server side paging and filtering for grid, but it's incomplete and scattered everywhere.

Thanks

Frank

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!  Can you give some specific requests for what you would like to see with the grid?

I'll definately start putting something together using Northwind of AdventureWorks.

Regards,

John DeVight

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

John,

First of all, thank you for the great product and for your contributions here.

Yes - this app is incredible helpful, please keep doing what you're doing.

Here is what I'd like to see:

*** Update one of the grids to use the new MVVM pattern and the new kendo bindings that you guys have just added in the last release.

Short story (what I'll have to do....):

- do a simple search, hit the server, get back Json and bind it to the grid (using dataSource)

- make the grid sortable and page-able, (this grid will not use edit in place)

- add an edit button in the grid for each row, use the MVVM pattern to bind the selected row data to a side edit panel upon clicking on the edit button

- click an update button in the edit panel to auto update the datasource thru MVVM bindings; this grid shows the updated row...

- click a save button to save all changes in a batch to the server....

The would be awesome.....

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Hi John,

thanks for the effort!

In addition what Boris mentioned: I would like to see how you pass validation messages from the server back to the client and display them.
I also would like to see how do handle localization for the UI components (labels, column headers, button captions ...)

Thanks for that!

Sörnt

Coordinator
Apr 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thank you Boris for your input.  I am starting to look at MVVM now and will put together an example soon.  I'm looking into publishing a roadmap this week to let people know when to expect new examples.

Coordinator
Apr 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Thank you Sörnt.  I'll add localization to the roadmap!

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Every serious enterprise app has at least an organisation / unit tree.

I would like to see an asp.net mvc sample where you return Json data from the controller and bind it to the treeview.

Then on each click on a tree node you lazy load the children with Json data of course and bind it.

Is that doable for you?

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I'll see what I can do for you.

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

This is a word! Btw. I would appreciate if you would use no mock/fake data setup in the view rather a database connection showing the binding between the view and controller.

Can`t wait for your sample and in july the coming kendo ui mvc final :)

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

OK.  I've added it to the "Roadmap" at http://kendouiaspnetsamples.codeplex.com/documentation.  I'm expecting to get to it this month.  If you have sample data that you would like me to use, and can put it in a SQL Server 2008 R2 database and send me the .mdf file, that would be really helpful :-)

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Edited Jun 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

"... If you have sample data that you would like me to use,..."

Well actually sample data is not important for me. Write what you want ;-)

Well I have dataprovider methods to get all Root objects (parent is null) for init loading or loading children lazily with jquery dynatree plugin etc... I am also just switching to hierarchyid...

But I think that wont be of use for you as I do not know or I even think your solution will look totally different with the tree. I have read about the kendo UI treeview if you want lazy loading there is always the "loading..." visible when you click it. I think thats stupid. Better make a tree which support properties in the json data like isLazy or isFolder. But thats another story...

But well let me know if else I can do anything for you :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

How about constant editing in the grid, too?

Meaning, something more like Excel where tabbing out of an edited cell or clicking another cell (even in another row) will save the last change and keep the new cell in edit mode.

Also, examples showing manipulation of the data bound to the grid before saving (can be helpful to those, such as myself right now, who run into issues with multiple change events firing). For example, updating a commission value after changing a profit margin % or a unit cost or quantity value.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Hello,I want to thank the people or the person who made ​​these examples.I have a question is there anyone who wants to help me make my first tutorial. The idea is to create a web application, explaining step by step the two patterns 1-code-first, 2-data-first and first. where you will be able to explain the same time pattern Asp.Net MVC3-4.

A- Use northwind or adventuresworks Datadase.

B- Explain the principle of Asp. Net - MVCX with an example for each pattern 1 and  2.

C- I expect suggestions from volontaires. Thank you all Go go go go for newb like me!

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I Boris,

It's been a busy year.  I just got around to looking at Kendo MVVM last week.  I'll be putting together an example very soon on using MVVM with the grid.  In the meantime, I've written a few articles on what I have learned about using Kendo MVVM:

Hope this will help...

Regards,

John DeVight